60 Very Short Bible Verses for Guidance and Encouragement
The Bible is the living word of the living God by which we come to know the character of our Creator. Knowing the Word is key to our spiritual growth and stability. It renews our minds, revives our hearts, restores our hope, and reveals God’s will for our lives. Even the very short Bible verses are chock full of inspiration and instruction.
If you are looking for scriptures for guidance and encouragement that are easy to memorize, then you’re in the right place!
And be sure to read to the end for a Free Resource you’ll not want to miss!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure here.
What is the Shortest Bible Verse?
A popular Bible trivia question asks what the shortest Bible verse is. No matter what version you’re using, the answer is John 11:35 – “Jesus wept.”
I love this verse because it reveals the heart of our Savior. His love for Lazarus, Martha, and Mary is evident as Jesus grieves his death alongside them. They were heartbroken, and so was He.
What a tenderhearted Redeemer we have!
Why Memorize Short Bible Verses?
There are so many lies bombarding us constantly. The best way to have discernment, and know what is true, is to know the Word of God so well that even the slightest hint of falsehood sends up red flags for you.
Every scripture that you commit to memory is a deposit into your spiritual storehouse that you can withdraw when you need it. The Spirit will bring it to your remembrance at just the right time, to encourage you and guide you. The shortest verses in the Bible are obviously the easiest to memorize, so start there!
If you have kids, you can work on memorizing some very short Bible verses together. That way you’ll be helping to establish the foundation of truth in their hearts, as well as, your own.
60 Very Short Bible Verses for Daily Encouragement
To help you get started, I’ve compiled a list of 60 really short Bible verses for guidance and encouragement. Each one is ten words or less! I suggest making a copy of these verses and putting your list in a place where you can see it every day. Or, simply take advantage of the Free printable provided below!
- John 11:35 – Jesus wept.
- Luke 17:32 – Remember Lot’s wife.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16 – Rejoice evermore.
- 1Thessalonians 5:17 – Pray without ceasing.
- 1Thessalonians 5:19 – Quench not the Spirit.
- 1Thessalonians 5:20 – Despise not prophesyings.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:22 – Abstain from all appearance of evil.
- 1Thessalonians 5:25 – Brethren, pray for us.
- 1 Timothy 4:11 – These things command and teach.
- Ephesians 4:27 – Neither give place to the devil.
- Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- 1 Corinthians 16:14 – Let all your things be done with charity.
- 1 Chronicles 16:11 – Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.
- Psalm 92:8 – But thou, LORD, art most high for evermore.
- John 14:15 – If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- John 3:30 – He must increase, but I must decrease.
- Matthew 7:20 – Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
- Matthew 6:11 – Give us this day our daily bread.
- Numbers 6:24 – The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
- Ephesians 4:20 – But ye have not so learned Christ;
- Deuteronomy 5:7 – Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
- Exodus 15:18 – The LORD shall reign for ever and ever.
- 1 Corinthians 1:29 – That no flesh should glory in his presence.
- Hebrews 12:29 – For our God is a consuming fire.
- 1 Peter 4:9 – Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
- 1 John 4:19 – We love him, because he first loved us.
- 1 John 5:21 – Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
- 1 Corinthians 3:23 – And ye are Christ’s; and Christ is God’s.
- Psalm 18:1 – I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
- Luke 21:19 – In your patience possess ye your souls.
- Psalm 146:1 – Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.
- Psalm 139:1 – O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
- John 17:17 – Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- Deuteronomy 5:20 – Neither shalt thou bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Psalm 23:1 – The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
- Psalm 61:1 – Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.
- Psalm 89:52 – Blessed be the LORD for evermore. Amen, and Amen.
- Psalm 106:12 – Then believed they his words; they sang his praise.
- Psalm 109:1 – Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
- Psalm 126:5 – They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
- Proverbs 8:33 – Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
- Proverbs 10:12 – Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.
- Jude 1:2 – Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
- Mark 1:18 – And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him.
- Haggai 1:7 – Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
- Jonah 2:8 – They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
- John 15:17 – These things I command you, that ye love one another.
- Philippians 4:4 – Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
- Deuteronomy 6:4 – Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
- Deuteronomy 5:13 – Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
- Exodus 33:18 – And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
- Deuteronomy 2:3 – Ye have compassed this mountain long enough: turn you northward.
- Psalm 5:1 – Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.
- Psalm 25:1 – Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.
- Psalm 25:4 – Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.
- Psalm 37:27 – Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.
- Psalm 105:4 – Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore.
- Psalm 119:36 – Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
- Psalm 119:89 – For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
- Psalm 119:140 – Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.
For more help growing in your walk with God, you’ll want to be sure to check out all these Practical Ways to Get Closer to God Today!
Tips for Memorizing Small Bible Verses
Memorizing these small Bible verses will be easy when you apply these 4 steps-
- Pray, and
Print the verses out; place them in high visibility areas; pray for God’s help; and practice, practice, practice! And soon these very short Bible verses will be hidden in your heart to guide your thoughts and actions and bring comfort on a daily basis.
I like to write out the verses by hand on index cards and tape them to my office wall. Putting the scripture to a beat or a familiar tune and singing them really helps me to retain them as well.
Do you have any tips for memorizing Bible verses?
Resources for Memorizing Very Short Bible Verses
Here are several resources you may find especially helpful as you seek to meditate on and memorize God’s Word, beginning with this list of short Bible verses for encouragement and guidance.
- God’s Promises Scripture Memory Journal Use this journal to practice writing out the verses and recording your thoughts as you meditate on each one.
- Comfort and Hope Scripture Notecards These are great to use as memory verse cards, as well as, for sending a message of encouragement to a friend or loved one.
- Encouragement Scripture Notecards These verses are a real encouragement for your walk with your Saviour.
- Women’s Bible Memorization Workbook: Bible Memory Verse Guide
Another great resource to help you get started memorizing God’s Word is this handy FREE printable of the 60 short Bible verses included in this post. Use this list to keep track of your progress and to be a quick reference whenever you need a little encouragement.
Click the image to download.
Memorizing these short Bible verses is a powerful way to keep the Word of God close to your heart and help you stay connected to Him throughout the day. Make a commitment today to strive to memorize one Bible verse each week and you will be surprised by the difference it makes in your life.
About the Author – Annie McGuire
Annie is the writer behind Daily His Disciple, where she encourages women to walk in the wisdom of God’s Word daily. Despite her battle with chronic pain and illness, Annie is a Bible teacher and ministry leader. She is also a pastor’s wife, mom of four, and “Granny” to two.