No person can escape temptation in this life. Even David, a man after God’s own heart, fell to temptation. David was tempted and lusted in his heart as he observed the lovely Bathsheba and gave in to the sin of adultery and murder.
I’m no better than David. None of us is without sin. We are all tempted in one way or another. And sadly, just like David, give in to that temptation. (Romans 3:23) That’s why God has given us many Bible verses on temptation and how to overcome it.
For me, my biggest temptation is due to living in a society where we have online ordering readily available at the touch of a finger. It is easy, convenient, and sometimes necessary to have items delivered to my front door. But sometimes I’m tempted to order things that aren’t really essential. I’m especially guilty of ordering stuff that I don’t necessarily have an immediate need for, but when “free delivery” is offered, it’s so hard for me to resist the temptation to push the “Submit Order” button.
But thanks to Jesus and His victory on the cross for us, we don’t have to be controlled by sin. We can fight against temptation. And win! God tells us how in His Word.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure here.
Bible Verses on Temptation and Help to Overcome
Why are there so many Bible verses on temptation and sin? As Christians we need to realize we all face temptation on a daily basis. No one is exempt. Even the Lord Jesus Christ faced temptation several times during His personal ministry on this earth.
God’s Word teaches us what temptation and sin are, the source of temptation, how to resist Satan’s enticing lures, and gives us Bible verses about overcoming temptation.
Bible Verses About Temptation
According to Easton’s Bible Dictionary, temptation is a trial, or being put to the test.
Abraham was tempted (tested) by God when He asked Abraham to sacrifice his only son, Isaac, as a burnt offering in the land of Moriah. Abraham passed the “test” when he proved his faithfulness to God.
Sometimes afflictions are allowed by God to test our patience and faith, but never to entice us to sin. (James 1:13) Remember how Job withstood the test?
And Paul says:
- James 1:2-3 “My brothers, count it all joy when ye fall into divers (various) temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.”
Temptation to sin comes from Satan. Worldly voices plant thoughts into our minds when we see or hear ungodly or evil things. Seemingly innocent TV shows, movies, music, videos, etc., can be deceptive and lead us to temptation and lure us away from the life Jesus calls us to.
Yielding to Satan’s temptation often has serious consequences. And that’s why we must be prepared to recognize it and know how to escape it. These Bible verses on temptation can help.
- James 1:13-15 “Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.”
- Proverbs 7:25 “Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths. For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.”
- 1 Corinthians 10:12 “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” Even though we think we are strong enough to resist temptation, we must be vigilant to recognize it for what it is.
- Mark 7:20-23 “And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.”
- James 4:17 “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
- James 4:1 “From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?”
Bible Verses About Resisting Temptation
Temptation itself is not a sin, but when we’re seduced and act upon it, we sin. When we are not fully surrendering our lives to God, trying to be obedient in every way, worldly values and thoughts creep inside, corrupting our minds and lessening our ability to recognize and resist temptation. And we succumb to Satan’s traps and lies.
We at times try to justify yielding to temptation by rationalizing that our desires make sense, sound good, or are even within reason. Exonerating one “little” sin lessens our ability to resist giving birth to the next temptation and begins the spiraling effect of turning us away from godly obedience.
Satan has been the king of temptation throughout history. Satan catches us at our weakest moments to attempt to persuade us to turn our backs on God, believe his lies, and worship him. We are more vulnerable to his attacks when we are in the wilderness times of our lives. Our wilderness might include times when we’re extremely hungry, thirsty, tired, lonely, weak, etc.
With the numbers climbing at a rapid rate, Satan is “claiming” victory over so many Christians’ lives. Just in the last couple of decades we have heard of an enormous increase in our churches’ leaders and members falling into temptation and sin. “Lord, have mercy on us!”
Therefore, let’s look into Bible verses about the devil tempting us and scriptures on resisting the devil.
- Luke 4:12-13 “And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.”
- Luke 4:2 “Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.” (Satan tempting Jesus for 40 days in the wilderness without any food)
- Matthew 26:41 “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
- Ephesians 6:10-12 “Finally my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
- 1 Timothy 6:9 “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.”
- 1 Peter 5:8-9 “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.”
Bible Verses On OvercomingTemptation
It is important that we prepare and be on guard against temptation. A good idea is to predetermine the measures you can take to resist each temptation to sin by following what the Word of God says. Keep your mind on the things of God. (Philippians 4:8.) Pray and be vigilant to guard your mind, heart, ears, and eyes against falling for the craftiness of Satan. (2 Peter 3:17)
God’s Word is our sword. It’s power is essential in helping us to be overcomers by equipping us with ammunition to avoid the devil’s schemes. We must study it daily to know what it says and hide its words in our hearts so we are able to recall appropriate Scripture and replace wrong thoughts with God’s words. (Psalm 119:11)
To do so, let us examine some Bible verses about overcoming sin and temptation.
- Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, …and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
- Romans 12:2 “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
Rest assured that the Lord is always available to help us if we’ll just unceasingly call upon Him in prayer. Jesus gave us a Helper, the Holy Spirit, to convict us when we do wrong, empower us to be obedient, and to lead us in the way we should go. (Each day I pray the Holy Spirit will help me to do, say, and think only what is pleasing to God. I also ask Him to help me recognize the pitfalls of temptation and guard me from falling into sin.)
- Hebrews 4:16 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
- Psalm 91:15 “He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.”
- 2 Peter 2:9a. “The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations…”
- Luke 11:4b “…And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.” (From the Lord’s Prayer)
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.”
- 1 John 4:4 “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.”
Avoid situations and environments that could be conducive for influencing you to sin. (i.e., hanging out with gossipy people, people who tend to be critical, or individuals who use profanity; being alone with the opposite sex if you’re not married to that person; going to questionable places, etc.) Flee from all evil.
- Psalm 1:1 “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.”
- James 4:4b “…whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:22 “Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
- Romans 13:14 “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.”
Finally, find a trustworthy accountability partner who will encourage you to do what’s right and remember that if you do yield to temptation:
- 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
God’s Word gives us Bible verses on temptation, scriptures on resisting the devil, and Bible verses about overcoming sin and temptation in order to encourage and strengthen us to win more battles against temptation than we lose. Friend, “we are more than conquerors through him that loved us”! (Romans 8:37)
If you’re looking for resources for Bible study and encouragement that will strengthen you for the battle against temptation, you might like to check out the Bible study worksheets and other resources we have on Etsy!
About the Author – Donnie Warford
Donnie Warford is a Christian author and freelance blogger. She encourages others to incorporate Godly principles into their lives. Look for her first book, Are You Hungry and Thirsty-Encouraging Women to Study God’s Word.