My children are 12, 9, and 6. And with all my heart, I want each of them to have a personal relationship with God. To that end, my husband and I read the Bible to them and pray with them often.
As my children have gotten older, they have more questions about what prayer is and how it works. The best way to explain the power of prayer is to use scripture.
The Bible has so much to say about prayer. In this post I want us to focus on the power of prayer. Let these 12 Bible verses about the power of prayer encourage you to greater faith in God and His power to answer your prayers!
And look for your Freebie below!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure here.
Why Is Prayer So Powerful?
Understanding the power of prayer is the first step to growing in our relationship with God. As soon as we can understand Who we are talking to and the power He holds, the more we will want to pray to Him.
The power of prayer is not in the words we speak but in Who we speak them to.
In 1 Kings 18:16-40 Elijah invited the king and his priests, the prophets of Baal, to a challenge to see whether the Lord or Baal was the true God.
So, they set up a test. Elijah and the prophets of Baal all went up to the top of the hill and made altars from wood and offered the same sacrifice, a bull.
Elijah invited the prophets to cry out to their god, and said that he would call on the name of the Lord. They all agreed that whichever one answered with fire is the true God.
The prophets of Baal went first. They placed the bull on the altar and started calling out to Baal. They called, shouted, and even cut themselves! But regardless of what they did, nothing happened.
Then, it was Elijah’s turn. He drenched both the altar he had made and his offering with water. He then said a simple prayer asking God to reveal His power. Right away a fire came down from heaven and consumed the sacrifice!
The Lord our God is the true and living Almighty God!
When we pray, we are calling out to The King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. He is above all things and in all things. It’s because of God’s nature that our prayers hold any power.
Prayer is powerful because God is all-powerful!
Bible Verses About the Power of Prayer
Examples of the power of prayer in the Bible teach us that God not only cares about our needs, but has the power to do whatever it takes to fulfil those needs in answer to our prayers! Just as He did for Elijah.
Here are power of prayer verses to encourage us to turn to God with every care and believe that He can and will answer, in accordance with His will.
- Hebrews 10:19-22 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
In the old testament, the people of Israel were not allowed into the holy of holies. This place was reserved for the high priest who could come once a year and be in the presence of God.
But through the death and resurrection of Jesus, this all changed and now anyone who believes in Jesus and has accepted Him as Saviour can come into His presence.
- 1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
We can pray with confidence that God is hearing us whenever we pray according to His will as given in His Word.
- 1 John 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
And if we know that God is hearing us, then we can also know that He will give us the desire of our heart! He WILL answer our prayer!
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
God hears our prayers of repentance. And is faithful to always answer those prayers and forgive and cleanse us, so that our fellowship with Him is restored!
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Prayer is powerful to turn nations back to God! When God’s people humble themselves and pray and turn away from sin, God hears! And turns away His wrath upon that land and people!
- Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
God actually invites us to tell Him all about our troubles. Prayer is the power whereby we gain God’s indescribable peace in place of our worry!
- James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Prayer is powerful in that by it we can gain wisdom from the Almighty God!
- Psalm 107:28-30 Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
The power of prayer brings calm in the midst of any of life’s storms. Are you in the midst of a storm right now? God wants to help you. So take advantage of the power He has given you through allowing you to come to Him in prayer.
- James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
The Lord gives us a wonderful power over sickness…prayer! God hears the prayer of faith and heals our sicknesses, whenever it is within His will and plans to do so.
Believing in the Power of Prayer
Even though there are many Bible verses about the power of prayer, we also have to remember that uttering words to God isn’t enough.
We need to believe that God exists, and that He hears our prayers.
- Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
- James 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
- Matthew 21:21-22 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
Doubting God and His Word will affect the outcome of our prayers. We must believe in God, His power, and His will in order to see the true power of prayer.
Even though I have known God for over 30 years, I am still learning about Who He is and His power. I am constantly understanding new things and seeing a fuller picture of God.
Regardless of who you are, where you are, or what you’ve done – God wants to hear from you. And answer your prayers! What an amazing and powerful God we have!
How has prayer been powerful in your life? Which one(s) of these Bible verses about the power of prayer speaks to you? Share with us in the comments below.
Enjoy this lovely FREE phone lock screen as a reminder to trust God and believe in the power of prayer!
Click the image to download.
About the Author – Anne Markey
Anne Markey is a Christian wife, mother, speaker, and author. Her passion is to help women read the Bible, understand it, and apply it to their lives. She does this through blogs, Bible studies, and training in the Christian Growth Hub. Connect with Anne at One Determined Life.